Facebook Badge

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Riding the Rails





In 1977 our family was faced with a dilemma, we needed to relocate from Dorado, Puerto Rico to the New York City area. That meant trying to decide to live in the city, in Westchester, in western Connecticut, Long Island or northern New Jersey and to do this with one or two "house hunting" visits. Oy vey iz mir! We immediately ruled out the city and reasoned that Long Island with its seven million people and only seven bridges and two tunnels connecting it to the mainland by automobile was too stifling. My new job was in midtown Manhattan only two blocks from Grand Central Terminal. This made both Westchester and Connecticut more attractive than a bus and subway trip from New Jersey.



I wanted to have a train commute of less than one hour. That limited where in Westchester or Connecticut we could live. All of our children's grandparents lived about twenty miles west of Kingston, NY in the Catskill Mountains. That made Westchester more attractive than Connecticut. We decided on Northern Westchester and ended up in Croton-on Hudson. In retrospect we are very pleased we made this choice.



Like the hobo and his rucksack or a swagman with his swag, there was I with my briefcase and suit waiting for the 7:43 AM Conrail train to New York City's Grand Central Terminal. It was not a bad experience. This train originated at the Croton Harmon station and only made a couple of stops each morning. There was always a seat for me and I could sit anywhere on the train I wished, theoretically. I soon found myself boarding the same train car each morning and when I took the time to look up from the New York Times, I was sitting near the same group of people each and every morning. It is almost like we all had assigned seats. Now sitting near the same people did not mean you actually spoke to these people. People are weird – commuters are more so. I would spend time fantasizing where does he work or what does she do for a living? Yet the idea of initiating an introduction never crossed my mind. Coming home I usually caught the same train each day and, yes, usually sat in the same car, but had more trouble getting the exact same seat each night. Alas.



Now there was socializing on the trains. Some trains had a bar car, where regulars would congregate to smoke, drink and unwind from their business days. Eventually, this service was discontinued on the Hudson line that I took to the Croton Harmon station. Within in a few years, maybe after 1,200 train rides, I found myself joining a regular card game on the train. Three, four or five of us would sit in triple seats tilted so we were knee to knee and play hearts to and from work. I am sure our bantering and loud play were an interruption to many, but for me and my train friends, it made the commute a new found pleasure. Now day to day different players joined the game, but there was always Jack in his suit, bowtie and handlebar mustache on the train early to claim our seat. He removed one of the advertising posters that were in each train car which we all balanced on our knees for a card table. I played in this game for over seven years – that is a possibility of 2,800 games of hearts. We never played for a penny but were as competitive in our play as if there were hundreds of dollars at stake. Eventually, I stopped commuting for a few years and can honestly say I missed the game and the companionship. As fate would have it, one of the regular players, Bill, is now living in our community on the shores of Dickerson Pond.



In 1999 I reentered the commutation world. It was now Metro North and not Conrail and the trains were actually a lot better than they were in the late 1970's and early 1980's. I did not find a card game, but rediscovered the New York Times. I was still commuting from Croton Harmon so I had forty-seven minutes to "do" the Times. Each morning I quickly scan each section. I check the sports stories and actually read the sports section on football Mondays. If I see an article in the business section, I might read it quickly. Next on Tuesday through Friday, I open the Arts section and start the crossword puzzle. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I finish the puzzle then look again at the Metro section and next read the editorial pages. If I have time I look at the national news section. I save the Tuesday Science section for the ride home. Friday I usually need a part of the ride home to finish the crossword puzzle.



In 2000 we moved a little north and I still commuted from the Croton Harmon station until the predatory Village of Croton-on-Hudson parking rules and enforcement caused me to change to the new Cortlandt Station. I now had fifty-eight minutes on the train and could spend a few more minutes with the Times each morning. Now these past few years I learned to power nap on the ride home. For me a power nap is passing out and falling asleep while the train is still in the Park Avenue tunnel. Napping on the trip to Croton Harmon is fairly safe IF Croton Harmon is the last stop for the train. I was conditioned to wake up in Ossining, but sometimes I needed a helpful nudge in Croton Harmon to remind me to exit the train. There is a much greater challenge napping to the Cortlandt station since those trains go all the way to Poughkeepsie. I had a perfect record going into my last week of commuting. Then one evening, it was a beautiful evening, I woke up somewhere between Cold Springs and Beacon. Twenty-five years of commuting, two hundred trips home each of those years makes five thousand trips and I miss a perfect record the last week on the train. Oh well, the Beacon station is a very nice station.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am completely empathetic and in tune with someone who has traveled the same or similar route to work(s) over extended periods of time. I have from time to time availed myself of the joys of the Hudson Line in it various incarnations, but I also traveled the Harlem Line when I was livng in White Plains and studying Latin for ten weeks, five days per week, eight hours per day as a part of the preparation for completing my doctorate at CUNY. That was the closest I have come to a regular rail commuting experience. That was in 1973.

Mostly, I interlope (as opposed to loping alongside) the commuter trains on special excursions to New York museums, etc. However, I have been traveling the same route, with some minor variations, by car to Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry, New York in order to earn my daily bread by teaching English Compostion and Literature to people exhibiting various levels of commitment and interest.

I am beginning my forty second year on this round robin. My first point of origin was Peekskil, but as I moved through life, I have done it from White Plains, Hartsdale, Yonkers, Mahopac, Cold Spring, and now, Cortlandt Manor. I have never lived more than fifteen miles from the town in which I grew up (though I was born in Harlem and lived for a short while in The Bronx).

From time to time I have car pooled with various colleagues. Car pooling makes the ride fly by (without speeding, although I am sure some of that occured as well). Conversation, planning, political debate, or just about any topic can make for a lively ride. One of my colleagues and I even wrote a novel as we rode the highway to work. (However, he kept the notes, and when he left the college took them with him.)

However, most of those years were spent traveling with just my thoughts and the flow of traffic for company through a phantasmagoric variety of weather conditions, from spotlessly clear and sunny to life-threatening rain, snow, ice, hail, and even an occasional falling tree. Every season of those forty plus years has seen me wending my way toward Mercy College from some point of origin.

It is interesting to travel in a metal cocoon with nothing but one's thoughts for company. I rarely turned (or turn) on the radio (when I had one) or put a tape or cd in the player (ditto). For a while, tried dictating thoughts into a tape recorder, but that became too dangerous, a pre-cell phone driving distraction. Besides, when I played back some of the tapes, I hadn't really said anything as profound as I thought I had.

As I face the prosepct of retirement, I wonder how I will feel the first day that I awake and don't have to travel the route to Mercy that I have followed for so long. Perhpas I will, from time to time, find myself on autopilot and turning onto the well worn paths of my forty two year old commute. On the other hand, I may have new places and purposes toward which to direct my future peregrinations.

themissingwiseman said...

Wow, what a story have you sold the rights to Hollywood yet? Maybe it could be titled "The Man in the Gray Fannel Suit" ...naw thats been done. But seriously, it is funny how our fellow humans who commute everyday become so fixated on their place in the daily world of transportation.

Now nearing completion of my 16th year on the Mamaroneck to NYC swing I too look for the same seat, in the same car every morning. And good lord if it is crowded I prefer not to have the chunky guy/girl jump in the middle of those three seaters when we hit Larchmont. I have met some interesting characters along the way. The older gentleman who knows exactly where the door will open each morning. He owns the company and is always concerned if the 7:09 becomes the 7:11, I once asked him if he is late does he dock himself, at 78 years young I hope not.

Or how about the passenger who gets on and you are asked to rise while they slowly remove not only their outerwear, place multile bags in the overhead but ask that you hold their coffee as they gaze fondly at the masss of humanity in the aisle gets ever longer as they decide to assume the position. At which point they decide to read the Times in the "WIDE OPEN" mode. Unlike the highly skilled individual who can fold that bad boy into the size of index card and still follow an artile which extends over multiple pages. I once had an unknown individual ask for a section of my Times as I was just sitting down. Sharing is nice, but as we regimented commuters know all too well that was an invasion of my "morning space".

When it comes to the evening ride I too love to sleep untill the epicurean delights of a co-passenger stimulate my olfaction to the point of rekindling my memories of hot college summers spent working in a fish market. We won't even bring up those passengers who spend more time on the phone then the volunteers at the Channel 13 Annual Fund Raiser Telethons.

But the train has afforded me the opportunity to expand my reading time, to avoid concern over icy rodes and inclement weather while trying to complete the Wednesday NY Times crossword. Your ability to complete thru Friday has thrown down the gauntlet and provided a goal. Maybe when I hit my 22nd year I too can complete up to Friday. Naw, lets get real Wednesday is a homerun for me.

Anonymous said...

Same route commuting...an interestinfg anecdote:

During the CB days of the 1970s, one tended to chat with the same commuters each morning along your route -- often without ever actually seeing their vehicle. Each morning I received a "shout" by someone known to me as "Brown Finger" alerting me to the usual traffic issues (he was usually a minute or two ahead of me on NJ Rt.4 leading to the GW Bridge).

Having left a bit earlier one day, I received my usual shout... but of much greater power and volume than usual. I also noticed that the driver in the vehicle (Mercedes) in front of me with MD plates seemed to be "keying" his microphone at exactly the same time I was receiving his radio transmission. It was him...finally we have made eye contact! I confirmed his presence (he looked at me thru his rear-view mirror and waved) and continued with a bit of small-talk -- eventually asking "Brown Finger" about his medical specialty. When he responded "Proctology" my laughter almost caused me to drive off the road!!