Facebook Badge

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Like General McArthur, I Have Returned

The Pondit got homesick today. While I was driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and just before entering the Skyline Drive, I decided to skip the Skyline Drive, skip my stay in Carlisle, PA and continue all the way back to Cortlandt Manor. I got home just before seven o'clock and am now doing two weeks of laundry while I prepare this last post of my trip.

NY, MI, ONT, WS, MN, ND, MT, WY. NB. IA, IL, IN, OH, WV, VA, MD, PA and NJ; all the states and provinces I traveled through on this 5,416 mile odyssey. Cheyenne, Lincoln, Des Moines, Indianapolis, Columbus, Charleston, and Harrisburg; all state capitals I drove through on the trip. The Links at Hiawatha Landing (NY), Forest Dunes (MI), Chequamegon Bay (WI), Rugby (ND), Eaglerock (MT), Teton Pines (WY), Jacoby Park (WY), El Paso (IL), Harrison Park (IL), Valley View (WV) and Vista Links (VA); the golf courses I was able to play.

Last night before driving to the Maury River, I drove up to a local golf course in Buena Vista. The course looked beautiful. When I got up this morning I drove up hoping to be able to play. There were several "regular" foursomes with tee times, but the starter let me out just before the first official tee off. I played well and the course was great. I teed off at 7:15 AM and left the course at 10:45 AM. I drove about sixty miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway. During the drive I passed seventy-eight motor cycles traveling in the southerly direction. The views were breath taking, although it was a bit hazy in the Shenandoah Valley. Most of the parkway was between 2,100 and 2,700 feet elevation. Except for cyclist, it was not heavily traveled.

Travelling on the Fourth of July did have some benefits. The car traffic was light and there were almost no trucks. There are not too many days when America's truck drivers get a break. It is one they need. I can now better appreciate how hard it is to drive the interstates hour after hour. I did it for several days, but these truck drivers do it forever.

Well the laundry is going well and I got to watch the Macys fireworks. Now I get to sleep in my own bed. Ahh.
Here are some of today's pictures:

The clubhouse in Buena Vista.View from the porch of the club house.

An uphill par three that is well bunkered. I had a three putt bogie..

A picturesque par four. Love the old barn in the background.

A little better view of the hole.


Beginning of my Blue Ridge Parkway ride.


One of the many scenic vista points.


The Shenandoah Valley.


This view looks east not west.


Looking out from 20 Minute Cliff.


Another scenic overlook.



No comments: