Facebook Badge

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

H.O.M.E.S.

The Pondit has seen them all: Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie and Superior. They are impressive. Early this morning I took the Mackinac Bridge that goes between lower and upper Michigan. It crosses the junction of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. After crossing the bridge I drove for forty plus miles along the extreme northern shore of Lake Michigan. This is just a small segment of its perimeter. Along the way I encountered sand dunes and sand blowing across the highway. The rest of the trip across the Upper Peninsular was rather uneventful. There were very few cars and lots of trees and marsh. I was looking for a moose but only saw many birds nesting on islands in the lake and in the small ponds and marshes along the highway. I had to drive almost two hours to find a place to eat. That was Munising on Lake Superior. Unfortunately, everyone else had stopped there and there was only one waitress. I left and ate in Harvey, just before Marquette. Cannot believe this remote city has a basketball team in the Big East!

This entire day I drove and was not on an Interstate. Only saw one radar trap and saw three state police cars. I crossed over to Wisconsin near Ironwood, Michigan. This small trip into Wisconsin also put me in the Central Time Zone. It was now one hour earlier. My intermediate stop was the Chequamegon Bay Golf Club in Ashland, Wisconsin. I arrived at 1:30 PM CST and teed off within fifteen minutes. The course looked out over Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior. I enjoyed the round of golf. The course was the least "upscale" of those I played so far. It was hot; almost 90 degrees and I had a good round. I shot 86 but the course was not that difficult. After the round I had about an hour more to drive to get to Duluth which is just across the Wisconsin border. I did stop to wash the five million bugs off the windshield and grill as well as the bushes I picked up in the woods heading to yesterday's golf round in Michigan.
I went to downtown Duluth for dinner. I had the walleye pike fish cake special. It was quite good.
Here are some of today's pictures:


The Mackinac Bridge at 6:30 AM in a light fog.

One of the harbors on Lake Superior.

A view of the harbor.


Actually passed through the town of Christmas.

Notice the light house on the logo.





Looking back toward the bay. It is actually visible. By the way, this hole was my only birdie.


The light house theme repeats on all the tee boxes.

Downtown Duluth and the local brewery.

Sunset heading back to the motel in Duluth.

No comments: