Facebook Badge

Monday, June 29, 2009

Ride’em Cowboys

Today's drive was not particularly scenic. Southern Wyoming, although rather high, is unattractive; at least the parts I drove through. The beginning of the trip followed the Snake River for forty miles then I turned down Hoback Canyon and followed the Hoback River for quite some time. The beginning of this trip was scenic and the ride along the Hoback was almost solitary. The terrain then flattened and the trip became tedious. The second half of the trip was across southern Wyoming along Interstate 80. I crossed the North Platte River once and the Continental Divide another three times. The entire day was spent between 6,000 to 8,000 feet. There are mountains in the state, but what I saw was a high plateau. I saw many cattle, horses and antelope.

My golf stop was at the University of Wyoming golf course in Laramie, Wyoming. I got to the course at the north end of the campus and was out on the course by myself in ten minutes. I played through on threesome and finished the round in less than four hours. The course was long for a par 70 but playing at 7,200 feet does help cope with longer holes.
By the time I got to Cheyenne, I was too tired to even drive downtown. My motel is near the airport and I plan to get to sleep early. Tomorrow I have nine hours of driving time to get to Des Moines. This is my longest one day of driving.

Here are all of today's pictures:

This is upper Hoback River Canyon. Lots of curves and bridges. There were many signs warning of avalanches.

This is the lowere part of the "canyon". Actually, there are two mountain ranges on either side of the road but each appears to be over fifty miles away.

This was my golfing venue. It was a "working man's" course. Lots of walkers and students use the course.

The course is at an elevation of over 7,200 feet. The course is at the top of the city of Laramie and above the University of Wyoming and its football stadium. The signs you pass entering towns in the state give the population and the elevation of the town. Laramie and Cheyenne were two of the few towns that had more people than feet.

A view of the first hole.

The most famous venue in the city of Laramie.

No comments: