Facebook Badge

Monday, June 29, 2009

The Old Gray Mare…

It is now 10:50 PM in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The Pondit is worn out! Someone please remind him that he is no longer a young man. The Pondit also has a confession to make. He has been writing his new postings at the end of each day. Prior to ending the day, he has often been imbibing in alcoholic beverages. He is not always on the top of his game in these situations.
The Pondit overdid it today. His day started out early as usual. After my morning yogurt, I headed out to the Moose entrance of Grand Teton National Park to take a three mile hike recommended by one of the other guests staying at the Alpine House with me. When I arrived at the parking lot of the hiking area, the temperature was 37 degrees and there was frost on the wooden walking bridges. I hiked up to Phelps Lake and took some wonderful photographs. It was a very nice experience and a great start to any day. I returned to the Alpine House for Sunday brunch. The meal was delicious. I then got back in the car and drove thirty minutes to South Jenny Lake in Grand Teton National Park. I had to search for a parking space! The last two days have been perfect weather in the area. This has not been the case for the previous twenty days. They already have had their full complement of rain for the entire summer. I was planning on a short hike prior to my afternoon tee time, but rented a canoe instead. I then spent an hour and forty-five minutes paddling on Jenny Lake.

Now I drove off to the golf course but had a few minutes to spare. On my way I spotted a moose in a pond off a small "short cut" I was taking to the golf course. Turns out it was a momma moose and her child. For twenty years I drove to Vermont and passed numerous "Moose Crossing" areas and never saw one moose. Now I have seen two, I also saw ospreys and a red fox today.

I played the Teton Pines golf course which was very nice. I did not shoot well but was exhausted. Remember all this physical activity is taking place in full sunlight at 6,500 feet elevation. I played with a club member, Don Shockeley. He was very nice and pointed out many sites and helped me find my balls (golf balls) in the lush deep rough. On the eighteenth green he pointed out Dick Cheney's house to me. I mentioned that Dick was not to popular in New York, and he answered that during the last elections, he was not too popular in Wyoming.

We finished our three and one-half hour round of golf at 7:20 PM and on the way back to the motel I stopped in Wilson, WY at a ribs place for dinner. I was sitting at the bar watching ESPN air the Yankees-Mets game. After an inning a young couple (aren't they all young couples) sat next to me. They live in Cambridge, MA but it turns out he is from the Bronx (Fordham Road area) and she is from Carlow, Ireland. He thought I had an Irish accent, but it probably was just the left over Bronx accent I have that through him off. He was a Met fan. We watched the entire game, and drank for two hours. Turns out he is an RPI grad. It is a small world. Yawn…I am tired.

Here are some of today's pictures:


Beginning of my morning hike.

Day break over a ridge.

Tell me this doesn't look like the face of a troll.


Phelps Lake reflections.

More reflections.

Interesting deadfall.


I did not have a hybrid and had to park one space over. This is a parking lot for people about to take hikes of three to fifteen miles. Do you think they need a preferred parking space?


Jackson Hole ski resort.


Was tempted to try this. They take the cable car to the top of the ski area and then glide down with an experienced hang glider.


Start of brunch back at the Alpine House.


Jenny Lake canoe trip. Notice the Wyoming yachting cap.


Photo from the canoe.



Momma moose. Yes, I was fairly close.

This time I did not follow the Garmin directions.

These views beat those at Hudson National.


Notice the Wyoming golf cap.


This was actually in the background of the previous shot. This is Dick Cheney's house. It took some time to prepare for the shot since Dick left his NY Post on the patio and the papers had blown all over.

2 comments:

florence said...

Hi Charlie - okay, so the blogs may have a few spelling errors, but that's to be expected, regardless of alcohol consumption I know how difficult it was for your to even write the words "Dick Cheney". We all know it's not a pation, it's a patio. Sort of sounds like a Bush mistake. Hope your Uncle Bill is following.

P.S. Love the hat!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots yet again. Looks like you are seeing it all. Enjoy. xoxoxo